Monday, January 21, 2013

Nora's Lake Ivanhoe Wine and Cigar Shop


2011-04-08_19-32-49_965
At a first glance from the outside, Nora's Lake Ivanhoe Wine and Cigar could be mistaken for a cozy New England gablefront cottage with plants and wind chimes hanging from the porch.  Two chairs are poised waiting for visitors to sit back and wash away the work day with conversation and perhaps a cigar.
Even upon entering the air is scented with spice and incense and merchandise mingled with decorations hang from the walls much like an eclectic Vermont gift shop. There are non traditional wine racks on the walls as if floating above cases filled with an incredible selection of pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon, malbec, merlot, table reds, port, pinot grigio, chardonnay, white blends, riesling and ice wine.  If Nora doesn't have it (and she does have a lot), then she will certainly get it for you.
Moving beyond the wine is a cozy seating area nestled in a cove with windows peering out into the world. There are a few chairs and a couch as well as ashtrays there for people to sit and enjoy their purchases. I search for cigars and see nothing so I have to ask. Only as I walk through a doorway which oddly feels like I am entering someone's apartment and see giant sliding glass doors on my left, do I see the signs pointing to the giant humidor. I slide open the door and enter a small room packed from floor to ceiling with a wide array of cigars. Brands start jumping out, Arturo Fuente, Brick House, Ashton, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, Rocky Patel, Oliva, La Flor Dominica, Acid, Baccarat. There are cigars, humidors and other merchandise laid out and I am amazed that so many treasures are locked away inside this cavern.  I feel like an explorer who has stepped into ruins and found goblets and jewels of gold and rubies intact and waiting to be reunited with fresh air and sun.
 I finally choose an Oliva V and close the glass door behind me, working my way back to the register in the front.   Nora rings me up and wishes me a great day.  I tell her I will be back and most certainly will with friends so they too can discover the treasures that await.
Stop by Nora's at 1407 North Orange Avenue, Orlando  32804.  The hours are 1pm till 6pm ish.  If there are people hanging out, she will stay longer.  Also check out her website at www.noraswinecigars.com for events and more information.  Hope to see you there in my travels around town orlando!

No comments:

Post a Comment